5 Ways to Start Rocking Your Social Media

5 Ways to Start Rocking Your Social Media

Let’s be real – running a business has vastly changed over the last 30 years. Just in the past few alone, computers have take over the world. The internet was invented in 1991 – which means my children will one day learn that I’m older than the internet, and totally blow their minds! Facebook entered the game in 2004, and the world’s first smart phone was introduced in 2007. How did we ever live without the iPhone?
Fast forward to now. Mobile devices make up 80% of time spent on social media networks according to Sprout Social. Seriously, mobile devices that could support such a thing just got here 11 years ago. So how does this impact your business? Click here to find out why your business needs social media!
Social media has become a game changer for advertising, customer loyalty, and brand recognition. Local brick-and-mortar locations can now reach the world through Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, Snapchat and all the other platforms out there! Social media isn’t just important for growing your business – it’s essential.

So… “Where do I start?”

Social media is a rapidly expanding force of digital nature that changes faster than weather. In Kansas we say, “If you don’t like the weather, just wait 5 minutes.” The same applies to social media. Here are some ways to have your social media presence make the right impact:

1. Decide which platform(s) to use.

5 Ways to Start Rocking Your Social Media

Don’t try to be on all the platforms – this is a guaranteed way to drive yourself crazy. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Tumblr, Reddit, Youtube, Google+, and the list goes on! Become really familiar with one or two, then dive into other platforms (if needed).

Decide which platform to use based on where your audience hangs out. If you’re a graphic designer, photographer, or an artist – Instagram is your jam. My husband is a graphic designer and I often say that Instagram is his playground. Don’t waste energy on a platform where your content won’t be effective.

2. Social Media Audit

Optimize your bio pages. The information should be accurate, and to the point. If using links, make sure they work. Broken links are bad for business. Your users will leave your site if they find them. Google will penalize your ranking if it finds them. Bleh! Also, think about placing keywords in your product/service descriptions and in your about section.

3. Social Media Goals

Your social media goals should align with your business goals. If you post without purpose, your social presence won’t be effective. Do you want more traffic to your website? Do you want sales? Where is it that you want your audience to go and what do you want them to do?

4. Content Calendar

Having a plan is one of the best things you can do for your social media strategy. Decide what types of content to post – then present the material in an intentional way. Make weekly or daily themes. If you are a clothing boutique, create a scarves week – how to wear them, kinds of scarves, a blog about how to tie a scarf, pictures of the scarves you carry, etc. Then the next week might be all bout leggings. Whatever product or service you sell, organize your content to make the biggest impact.

5. Engagement

The word “social” is often forgot about in social media. If all I do is sell to my audience, I will find myself without an audience very quickly. The best rule of thumb is 80% content, pictures, infographics, educational content, fun content, etc. Focus on engagement and build the know, like, and trust factor. Focus the other 20% on selling – but even then I would still emphasize why your product or service is beneficial.

In the words of Dave Willis, “Don’t wait. The time will never be just right.”
Jump into your social media and make it happen Captain.

Like this article?

Share on facebook
Share on Facebook
Share on twitter
Share on Twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on Linkdin
Share on pinterest
Share on Pinterest

Leave a comment